Tuesday, April 28, 2009

An Ending and a Beginning



So due to popular (maybe not popular, but multiple) demand, I have decided to do a blog for my summer adventures in DC. If nothing else, at least this will serve as a record of the things that I do and see in DC.



As with most beginnings, it is also the mark of the end of a previous era. It is amazing how fast the last three years have flown by in Provo, and it has taken until now to realize how much I took for granted living there. I tried to pack in as much I could the last couple days, but really just had to take care of stuff like packing, getting shots, etc. that I had put off. I did manage to squeeze in a hike up the Y (leave it to a mountain to show you how out-of-shape you are!) and a barbeque using the little gas grill I bought last summer. BBQs are when you truly know it is summertime!




But before long it was Friday morning (at 5:40 am) and time to get up and go to the airport. After a quick layover at David's place (where I used his wii-fit to measure my luggage) I was on my way. I got into DC without any problems, though I could barely get to my shuttle with two large suitcases and two carry-on bags! I'm sure I was quite a sight.




By Friday there were about 8 of us here, and we ate dinner and went for a stroll around Georgetown. The next day we decided that we needed to get food, so we all took the metro to get to Costco. Having excellent foresight, we made the guys bring two large suitcases to bring the food back in. After a couple out-of-the-way diversions we finally made our way to Costco. As we were checking out with two large carts full of frozen food, we realized that our genius foresight had not been quite adequate! Needless to say, costco food for 8 people does not fit in two suitcases. But, we filled the suitcases as best we could and then filled boxes to carry home. We made it home with all our stuff, but it was quite the adventure!




Saturday night we walked over to the White House. While we were there, we experienced our first DC rain! The lightning was amazing- probably the clearest and brightest streaks I've ever seen. I love it when it's so warm that you don't care if you're wet. Did I mention that DC is having record heat at over 90 degrees?




On Sunday night we thought that we would take a peaceful walk over to the harbour and enjoy looking at the Potomac. However, we did not know that Sunday night is apparantly the party night by the harbour. So we get there, and of course all the restaurants are full and crazy busy. On the water there were tons of boats with people drinking in big groups on them. Not quite the peaceful sunday stroll we were looking for! One guy (young and drunk) came over to the five of us girls and wanted a group hug. It was...interesting. We went back on Monday and it was much calmer, so now we know to avoid it on Sunday nights!




Today a couple of us went to a forum at the CATO Institute; it was a forum that was pro-trade. It was really interesting and definately something you can only experience in DC. Unfortunately I didn't have paper to take notes, so I can't provide details of what they discussed. But, I definately need to get more informed on all the topics of debate here! I love hearing so much about what is going on, and how the city is always so alive.




So that's a snapshot of what I've been doing in DC so far. It's already been crazy busy and never ending, but I'm really excited to start work tomorrow. Thanks for reading! I'll try to keep this updated and get pictures on it. Just remember that life is fast and take advantage of every moment!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah Juliana!!! I can't believe you're already there and getting hugged by drunk people! :) Thanks for making this blog, we will definitely be loyal followers! It was really great seeing you and hanging with you and the fam in Provo... we're really gonna miss you. Anyway, good luck with work, you'll do awesome! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, I can imagine the airport luggage and Costoco food juggles....reminds me of flying to Galena trying to haul all our suitcases and car seats and kids...I'm so glad you made it!! And I"m so glad you're doing a blog, yeah!!! It sounds like it's already been so busy, I love hearing about it!! How neat of an adventure! How's the dorm situation going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, the second comment was me Debbie, just wanted to make that clear....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. We love you.

    ReplyDelete