Thursday, April 30, 2009

Official Work!

So I have now officially worked two days at IIE, the Institute of International Education. I am working in the Grants and Contracts Division, which basically takes agreements between IIE and sponsors, and works to keep them straight in the database they use. That's just the basics and beginning, but it's a little of what I've done. The first day was a little crazy, trying to remember all the things that they were telling and showing me. Today was a little more fun though, as I had the chance to work on my own and actually accomplish something productive!

A nice perk at work is that I have an office to myself (for now) and have a nice desk and everything! I feel pretty official. This year is the 90th anniversary of IIE, and they are creating some kind of 'yearbook' thing for IIE, so they are taking pictures of each division. My supervisor asked if I wanted to be in their picture, and I was like "Why not?!" So below is a picture of everyone on my team! From left to right they are: Kristy (my supervisor), me, Stella, Andrew, and Steven (the boss).
So it's pretty cool to work as part of a small team. Today Andrew invited me to join him in a "green team" meeting, where about 7 employees talked about how to make the IIE workplace more environment friendly. That was kind of interesting! Also, today I sent out some distribution emails, and the CFO of IIE emailed me and talked about meeting next week. So that was pretty cool! I like my job so far.

After work today we walked down to the National Mall and visited some of the monuments: Lincoln, Vietnam, and WWII memorials. They were really neat, and as always thought provoking. As we walked home by the White House and saw all the amazing buildings in DC, I just thought how amazing it is that I get to live here for a summer! It has definately been amazing so far, and it hasn't even been a week!!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Nan! Sounds like a great first week! Glad it went so smoothly. Debbie and I are quite envious of your cool opportunity to be around such wonderful historical aspects of our Country's heritage. Anyways, hope you have an awesome weekend, and we look forward to hearing about your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete