This week, a long process of waiting finally came to an end. After checking the mail every day for the last two weeks, I resolved to check it twice a day to show that much more determination! On Thursday, I was lucky enough to get off of work an hour early because of the holiday weekend. I got home at about 4:30pm, and per my routine checked the mail. I was so mad that my mission call was not in it! That meant I would probably have to wait over the weekend to get it, and I had already been waiting so long! Despite my frustration, I decided to be productive with my extra time and went to the gym before dinner. When I got back an hour later, I thought, “Why not check the mail. You never know.” Imagine my delight when I opened the box and there was a big envelope in it addressed to “Sister Juliana Geiger”! My mission call had come!!
The first thing I did (after screaming) was to call David, so he could set up the phone-conference for the fam. After waiting three weeks (and a lot longer), I decided I could wait two more hours to open the call so that more people could be there. So at 7:20 pm, in a common room crowded with Barlow Center residents, my phone rang and it was David with everyone on the line except Rachel. (doesn’t that seem ironic?!) After one more failed try to get ahold of her, I opened my call.
I have to admit, I don’t think I have ever been as nervous as I was for a minute as I broke open the seal on the envelope. Finally my mission, which has seemed somewhat like a dream, was going to be given a tangible reality. I think my reaction to the assignment- Portugal, Lisbon mission- was solely comprised of shock and excitement. To be honest, Portugal was probably the last place in the world I would have ever (and never had) thought of. The first couple days was still a slight state of shock and not being able to take it in, although I was really excited.
In the last day or so, I think it has started to seem real to me, and I have been able to absorb that I will be serving in Portugal. And I am so excited!!! I may not know much about Portugal now, but I know that Portugal is where I am meant to serve, and that I will have a purpose there and I am so excited to get to know about the country and culture. In a way I wish I could just leave now, instead of waiting until October 7.
I am so excited to get to be a missionary and honored to receive the call to be a representative of the Lord. I know that this gospel is true and want to share the joy that I feel with others! I have never been so excited or felt more right about anything before in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah!!! You go girl..uh I mean "Sister", er, "Hermana?" "hermania"? what is it in portugese?
ReplyDeleteIn portuguese, sister is Irma
ReplyDelete